Sunday, September 22, 2013

Technology Autobiography

The popularity of communication technology has rapidly increased in the past couple of decades to the point where it is uncommon to not be in touch with some form of technology. The growing accessibility of technology has made it apparent that there is a need for effective use of technologies in the classroom. In a study done, the percentage of world internet usage has increased over 500 percent in the past 12 years. In this post I will list the three most influential communication technologies in my life, reflect on how they might have changed the way I learn, and compare/contrast them to the technologies of the youth through a video called “Learning to Change, Changing to Learn”.

The three most influential communication technologies in my life would have to be the internet and my phone. I have listed only two technologies because the internet is such a blanket term that encompasses so many different communication technologies, including instant messaging, email, social media, video chatting, etc. Under the internet I will be talking about email and instant messaging, both of which I prefer to use Gmail.

The Internet 
I. Email 
Email has been a great tool for me. Professionally, I have been able to keep in touch with people that I would otherwise not kept in touch with. I am a bit socially awkward and having nonverbal interactions with people is a lot easier than talking to a person face-to-face. This, of course, can be quite crippling if you depend on that virtual environment to communicate. Luckily, I am just awkward enough to enjoy email but, still be able to function in the physical world.
 II. Instant Messaging 
Gchat has been the main form of communication, apart from my phone, I use with my friends. Using this technology has made communication easier and fun. With this technology I can easily and comfortably talk to people I may not have. Though this technology has made communication accessible and easy, there is something about talking to a person face-to-face that just cannot be replaced. As the world progress into the digital age the human interaction suffers.

 Phone
III. Cell Phone 
My phone is the primary way I talk to everyone, besides talking face-to-face. I use it on a daily basis from casual conversations to professional communication. I used to text quite a lot: during class, at home, in the morning, or at night. Like email, the advantages and disadvantages are quite similar. Though we have this new accessible format to speak to each other, the human interaction is starting to fade and with it are people’s social skills. With phones and instant messaging I feel that it has also broken down the formal walls of typed conversation. When I text or i.m. somebody, invariable a “u” for “you” will get thrown into the conversation. My opinion of this change in formality is one of slight indifference. I wish people would not shorten their language for convenience but, I will not hold it against someone.

 “Learning to Change, Changing to Learn” 
 The technologies that I use as compared to the youth in this video are pretty similar. The things we have in common are that using these technologies have been an extension of ourselves. It is how we communicate to each other on a daily basis for better or for worse. One girl even commented on the same drawback as I did. Shortening words into phonetics is not an ideal outcome from this technology. Email was also mentioned. The girl explained as I did that having an email is a good way to communicate and organize one’s professional life through the different aspects that it can offer.

Learning New Information 
The whole online system of communication has not necessarily impacted the way I learn information. But, having an infinite amount of online resources has definitely changed how I access information. Using the internet to find an answer, using Microsoft Word to organize my ideas, planning ahead with ICal, detailing expenses with Microsoft Excel, etc. As technology continues to become more accessible, it will be paramount that educators use this tool to their advantage. How can educators justify using dated methods of communication when the entire youth is in a technological era? In order to teach most effectively we will have to be vigilant about keeping up with the most prevalent form of technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment